Capital Projects Department
ABOUT FORT MCKAY
The Fort McKay First Nation (FMFN) is composed of over 800 band members, including those of Cree and Dene heritage, with approximately 400 members residing in the hamlet of Fort McKay — a community located approximately 65 km north of Fort McMurray. Fort McKay offers the best of both worlds: remote northern life for the nature lover and proximity to a large city of about 70,000 people with all the amenities you need.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a motivated and multitask-oriented individual who is flexible and works well in a team environment to fill the position of Building Operator. Reporting directly to Capital Projects Operations Manager, the Building Operator will be responsible for all building operations including general and preventative maintenance for a variety of buildings in Fort McKay. The Building Operator ensures that building heating, cooling, mechanical and electrical systems are maintained and operated to provide a safe, and clean working environment. This individual must be able to interact with staff at all levels in a fast-paced environment, while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient.
This is a full-time position with on call responsibilities and the requirement to work overtime as required.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage, operate and maintain hot water boilers and other heating and cooling systems in accordance with government regulations and school division procedures.
- Operate and maintain all heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems as per FMFN procedures
- Perform all routine and preventative maintenance work on equipment, devices and furnishings and record work as required by government agencies and FMFN procedures
- Regularly lift, move and carry equipment, furniture and supplies up to 22 kg (50 lb.) alone, or if heavier, with assistance of co-workers or aids.
- Process e-mails, maintenance requisitions, supply orders and the BAS energy management system (i.e. scheduling HVAC systems).
- Work with and monitor contractors on building renovations and repairs.
- Monitor and adjust all chemical levels in the systems.
- Assist with government and contract inspections related to fire systems, elevators, boiler, building inspections, security system, etc.
- Communicate any building or site deficiencies to the Operations Manager in a timely manner.
- Prepare, tender, and recommend for approval service and renovation contracts
- Prepare and submit monthly operating activity report
- Complete other duties and projects as assigned
- Grade 12 Diploma Required
- Possess a current Class 5 Building Operator or 4th Class Alberta Power Engineering/ Building Operator Certificate
- Time management skills with the ability to handle multiple demands and competing priorities
- Ability to develop and carry out preventive maintenance programs
- Experience in a First Nations community is a definite asset
- Clean Driver’s abstract and clean Criminal Reference check
- Comprehensive Health benefits package with Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- An employer matched Pension Plan
- A healthy work-life balance with an on-site fitness centre
- Transportation to and from work
- The opportunity to work with a community that is committed to protecting its traditional lands - to learn more about the Moose Lake Plan visit: