ABOUT THE ROLE
The Fort McKay First Nation is seeking a motivated and multitasked oriented individual who is flexible and works well in a team environment to fill the permanent full-time position of Carpenter. The Carpenter is responsible for performing all home repair and carpentry work in a safe, efficient, and professional manner. This is a full-time, permanent position reporting directly to the Manager of Housing.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Follow all health and safety rules and regulations.
- Perform carpentry work for in home repair and new home projects.
- Perform renovation projects under the direction of the Housing Manager.
- Repair and install new cabinets, doors and windows as needed.
- Perform drywall repair and prepare for painting.
- Assist in carpentry quality control, ordering supplies and building material for job site.
- Take measurements and calculate the size and amount of material required.
- Assess homes for repair or renovation and provide scope and timeline to housing administration team.
- Read blueprints, drawings and sketches.
- Build window frames, doors and staircases using raw material items.
- Install flooring, roofing and/or drywall.
- Build scaffolding and other construction structures.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Carpenter Journeyperson certification is required.
- A valid Class Five (5) driver’s licence is required.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties. This includes occasional lifting up to 20kg, repetitive walking, bending, squatting, twisting motion and kneeling
- Experience with carpentry works in residential housing renovation or construction is ideal.
- General knowledge in sanding, mudding, patching drywall and painting.
- General knowledge in cabernet repair, trims (doors, closet doors, moulding), and baseboard repair and installation.
- Experience working in a First Nations community including knowledge of First Nations culture, traditions and values is a definite asset
- Clean Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector is required
- Valid class 5 Driver’s License & Clean Driver’s Abstract required
- Comprehensive Health benefits package with Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- An employer matched Pension Plan
- A healthy work-life balance with an on-site fitness centre
- Transportation to and from work
- The opportunity to work with a community that is committed to protecting its traditional lands - to learn more about the Moose Lake Plan visit:
ABOUT FORT MCKAY
The Fort McKay First Nation (FMFN) is composed of over 800 band members, including those of Cree and Dene heritage, with approximately 400 members residing in the hamlet of Fort McKay — a community located approximately 65 km north of Fort McMurray. Fort McKay offers the best of both worlds: remote northern life for the nature lover and proximity to a large city of about 70,000 people with all the amenities you need.