ABOUT FORT MCKAY
The Fort McKay First Nation (FMFN) is composed of over 800 band members, including those of Cree and Dene heritage, with approximately 400 members residing in the hamlet of Fort McKay — a community located approximately 65 km north of Fort McMurray. Fort McKay offers the best of both worlds: remote northern life for the nature lover and proximity to a large city of about 70,000 people with all the amenities you need.
ABOUT THE NEW SCHOOL - Opening Fall of 2022 - Come Join the Team!
The Fort McKay First Nation is nearing completion of its Brand-New K-9 school located in the community of Fort McKay. The Elsie Fabian School will be opening its doors September of 2022 and we are looking for dynamic and passionate Educators who love Northern Living to join the team! The school will incorporate both the Dene and Cree Language, culture, and Land-Based Education where students will learn about their rich local history. Fort McKay is looking for talented educators who practice and believe that the well-being of the child is at the center of everything; this is the shared practice and belief of the Fort McKay elders, parents and community members.
The foundation of the Elsie Fabian School is engagement in teaching and learning, parents and community, culture and traditions, and a school environment based on the principles of love, responsibility, respect, listening, nurturing, relationships, humility and learning. Join us and be apart of the Fort McKay community - a Nation that is committed to advancing quality education for all First Nations learners by connecting to land and honouring our languages.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a highly dedicated and experienced Cook who is looking for an enriching experience to be part of the new school team. As the Cook for our new school, you will work collaboratively as a team while managing efficient kitchen operations and fostering a positive work environment. This is a full-time position reporting directly to the Principal of Elsie Fabian School.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee kitchen operations, plan menus, determine size of food portions, estimate food requirements as well as schedule and supervise kitchen/cook helpers.
- Oversee purchases, maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment.
- Provide a monthly report on expenses of all items purchased.
- Ensure that all food and other departmental supplies are ordered and received in a timely manner so that adequate inventory levels are maintained to support anticipated volume.
- Prepare meals on menus and based on nutritional programs and individual plans.
- Ensure quality and safety of food by performing standard and any additional sanitary measures including sweeping of the floors, cleaning of surfaces, as well as proper covering and storage of food items according to standards and procedures.
- Work at an efficient and consistent pace to ensure timely preparation of all meals.
- Follow proper reporting procedures for accidents and incidents to ensure follow-up and prevention.
- Adhere to all regulations including blood borne pathogens, infection control, use of hazardous materials and fire safety.
- Serve food in the proper portion size and at the proper temperature .
- Report any infraction in the food services department policies and procedures.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Culinary Management Diploma or a Food and Nutrition Management Diploma preferred
- Two (2) years cooking experience preferably in a school setting preferred
- Alberta Health Services (AHS) – Food Safety Course Required
- Knowledge of methods and procedures for serving food, principles of sanitation, and principles of safe food handling and knowledge of food and catering trends, quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation required
- Superior time management skills, multitasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
- Ability to speak either Dene or Cree language an asset
- Experience and knowledge of First Nations culture and traditions
- A valid Class 5 drivers license and Clean Drivers Abstract
- Criminal Record Check
- Comprehensive Health benefits package with Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- An employer matched Pension Plan
- A healthy work-life balance with an on-site fitness centre
- Transportation to and from work
- The opportunity to work with a community that is committed to protecting its traditional lands - to learn more about the Moose Lake Plan visit: